Welcome to the first InterEngineering newsletter!
InterEngineering is a new network, which was formed in 2014 aimed at connecting, informing and empowering LGBT Engineers. Every few months we’ll send you an update on our up-and-coming events, new campaigns and latest diversity resources.
Up and Coming Events
InterEngineering Social Drinks
February 26 @ 6:00 PM – 11:00 PM, Balls Brothers (Bury Court) London
This is a chance to get together to have some drinks and network with others interested in supporting LGBT in engineering. Come along to touch base, or to say hello if this is your first time. We look forward to seeing you!
How to establish an LGBT Business Resource Group (BRG)
March 25 @ 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, 70 Chancery Lane, London
Some sectors have very advanced policies on diversity and inclusion, as they have been pursuing D&I for a number of years. Engineering has been slower on the uptake, however some companies have made progress and established networks. But, a larger percentage of companies have no such networks, or active inclusion initiatives. How do how do you go about instigating change in your organisation to establish an LGBT BRG? This event serves to look and discuss this in more detail.
Feedback from “Starting Out”
In December, last year, we ran our first event to launch InterEngineering and get feedback from our members about what you wanted from an engineering LGBT diversity forum. We’ve taken on board all your comments, and while we hope that we’ll eventually be able do everything- we have identified the following key actions for 2015 (with links, where we are already addressing them):
- Make it easier for people to sign-up to InterEngineering and connect afterwards
- Run debates and discussion groups on diversity important topics such as being on site, working in foreign countries and initiating BRGs
- Collaborate with other groups and initiatives across the industry
- Collate lists of companies with LGBT networks and Diversity Champion status
- Provide guidance for diversity best practice across the industry
- Identify and share case studies from successful LGBT Engineers as role models in industry
- Promote, support and include straight allies
- Clarify the committee members and their roles
A full list of the feedback we received from the InterEngineering: Staring Out event can be found here.
What’s It Like Being an LGBT Engineer?
Last month we began to develop a campaign to collect together the experience of as many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and straight-ally engineers as possible to help increase visibility, inform choices and identify improvements.
To be successful we need to share as many experiences as possible, so please, take a moment to share your experience, and spread the word, at www.lgbtinengineering.com
Finally, this month our website has been updated to make it easier for people to sign-up and find out what InterEngineering are doing. We’ve also found the time to put together some resources on LGBT diversity in engineering:
- A list of company networks
- Engineering firms that are Diversity Champions
- Research data on LGBT in engineering
We’re actively looking to improve the quality of information in our resources; so if you see any omissions please get in contact.